Home      History
 

 
The Maidenhead Town Club was formed in 1942 from the nucleus of the old Taplow and Maidenhead Club and our Green was originally behind the Dumb Bell Public House in Taplow. (But many of our Trophies are still played for and awarded every year).

Despite the ongoing Second World War, the Club was reformed at the Municipal Bowling Green in Oaken Grove Park on 13th July 1942, with a friendly match against Burnham.


The Official opening took place on 13th August 1942 by the EBA President T Campbell-Dykes, and the Mayor of Maidenhead.


The Club has grown from strength to strength and the Pavilion has been replaced four times and has had two big extensions over the years. Current membership numbers 90 Men and 40 Ladies who compete in all the county and national competitions.


Joining the Berkshire County Association in the year we were reformed we have been enthusiastic supporters of the County Association and the EBA ever since.


The Club has supplied one EBA president – Roy Thomas JP, four County Presidents:  A J Hooper, R H Thomas JP, John Marshall and Grant Oxtoby as well as two County Match Secretaries and the current County Secretary.


In total the Club has won 34 County Titles including Club Championships twice, Mixed Double Fours and Unbadged Singles five times each.


 
 
 
Maidenhead Town Bowls Club
Oaken Grove Park, Oaken Grove, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 6HL